We had hoped to set up a community garden in the local area but due to COVID-19, it was not possible to do it on the local green spaces.
A front garden was volunteered by Michelle and a micro community garden project was formulated. The aim and plan for the project was:
- To connect those in our neighbourhood who enjoy growing to get together and share knowledge
- To be a space in our community where people with no prior knowledge of growing can learn and practice as complete beginners
- To inspire more people (especially children) to grow food and plants in their own gardens in Crumlin
- To act as a first step/pilot toward establishing a Crumlin Community Garden
- To promote zero waste/upcycling
- To practice seed saving and encourage seed exchange, perhaps a bulk buying group might form
Volunteers have been working since March 2021, growing vegetables and plants in beds. Local residents, kids and volunteers come and join in the fun.
Date: October 2020 – Present
Thanks: Michelle, Laura, Sean, Gubnait, Tina, Tina Sandrine, Katrin, Tamsyn and all the wonderful local kids.